Lead Teacher (Early Childhood, Preschool, Pre-K) - Certification Required
Brooklyn Kindergarten Society
Date Posted: 08/23/2023
Location: Brooklyn, New York
$61,070 - $68,652 a year
Job Type: Full-time
Work Arrangement: Onsite
Brooklyn Kindergarten Society (BKS) has dedicated itself to providing high quality early childhood education to children from low-income families for over 130 years. We serve nearly 450 children in full-day educational classes, each enriched with pre-literacy and language programs as well as arts and music instruction. BKS recognizes that families – the key to children’s success – often benefit from resources and support beyond the classroom. To that end, our social services staff provides counseling, referral services, and workshops for children and their families. We provide full day, year-round care for children who are stimulated by the various curriculum studies initiated by them and guided by the principles of the Creative Curriculum.
The Early Childhood Education Teacher is the head of the classroom and is responsible for implementation of developmentally appropriate curriculum (Creative Curriculum) as well as divvying out classroom related work to the Assistant Teacher and Teacher’s Aide. Early Childhood Education Teachers should be able to work collaboratively with colleagues, supervisor, and families to ensure quality education.
SCOPE OF INFLUENCE
- Assist in the direction of a class of students (maybe mixed age) through daily activities
- Communicates with families about children’s progress and work
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
Planning and Program Implementation (50%)
- Planning (25%)
- Understand the goals, objectives, and vision of BKS
- Understand the goals and objectives of the curriculum
- Plan well-designed lessons that are aligned with the current units of study and culturally relevant pedagogy.
- Implement units of study and lesson plans in a thoughtful and intentional manner
- Identify goals for children
- Identify what staff and parents can do to help children achieve these goals
- Identify classroom materials needed to support the implementation of the curriculum towards achieving goals.
- Program Implementation (25%)
- Provide positive guidance for children
- Implement daily lesson plans.
- Lead various small group and center activities
- Delegate various academic and classroom-based responsibilities to assistant teacher and teacher aides.
- Understand individual student goals and connect those goals to academic activities.
- Work with small groups of children to reinforce lessons, providing one-on-one instruction to students and supervising students in the classroom.
- Create a warm and welcoming environment that includes a print-rich, and culturally responsive culture.
Additional Educational and non Educational Duties (35%)
- Assessment System (15%)
- Complete and maintain observations and other running records
- Navigate Teaching Strategies GOLD online (assessment system).
- Supervision (10%)
- Provide consistent supervision that takes into account developmentally appropriate activities and health needs of the group and individual child.
- Relationship Building (5%)
- Foster relationships with key stakeholders e.g., other teachers, family workers/social workers, parents and guardians for the purposes of school readiness.
- Promoting professional growth (5%)
- Assume responsibility for professional performance and self-reflection
- Fulfill roles as mandated reporter as stated in Child Abuse and Neglect Policies.
- Participate in staff meetings, conferences, training sessions, and workshops as assigned.
- Perform any other work-related duties necessary to the smooth functioning of the center as requested by the supervisor.
- NYS Professional ECE Certification B-2, Valid NYS Permanent Certification B-2 or N-6, Professional or Permanent Childhood Education (1-6), Prekindergarten-Grade 6 (P-6) Required
- Minimum of 2 years' experience working with children ages 2-4 years old
- A 2.5 minimum culminate undergraduate GPA
- Experience working with low-income populations and diverse cultures.
PRE- EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to pass Comprehensive Background Clearance through Department of Health and Mental Hygiene- Identogo and/or Department of Education Fingerprinting Screening, NYS Central Registry, Sex Offender Registry clearance, SEL check, three (3) reference checks, physical examination with updated TB test, varicella, tdap, MMR (fees may apply).
- Obtain Mandated Reporter training certificate (every two (2) years) and other Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and Head Start Performance Standard training requirements.
- If hired, Brooklyn Kindergarten Society requires all potential employees to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination.
Please send resume to email@example.com. After that, a link to directly apply will be sent.