Preschool Lead Teacher (2 year old class)
Date Posted: 05/15/2023
Location: Brooklyn, New York
$21.00 - $26.00 an hour
Job Type: Full-time
Work Arrangement: Onsite
Purple Crayon is a preschool in Bath Beach, Brooklyn. We strongly value early childhood education as do the families who choose our program for their child. We have an extraordinary team of teachers who are hardworking, caring, and dedicated to their trade. We are supportive of each other and strive to build a sense of community for the staff and the families who are a part of our center.
We are seeking a lead teacher for our 2 year old classroom to start in September 2023. The hours will be from 8:15am – 5:15pm. As a lead teacher for our 2’s classroom you will be expected to build strong relationships with the children and families and create a nurturing environment. We use a whole-child approach and are sensitive to each child's abilities and needs. We expect teachers to be not only a role model to their students, but also as a secondary caregiver and playmate (we love it when teachers get down and join children in their play). We also expect teachers to understand the importance of differentiation and can explain what successful implementation would look like.
Responsibilities includes but not limited to:
- Implementing effective program curriculum
- Conducting authentic assessments, small group assessments and maintaining a record each child’s performance level
- Plan and implement monthly and yearly curriculum and activities for students
- Prepare materials necessary for planned activities
- Conduct small and large group activities and implement routines in the classroom
- Track student attendance
- Maintain portfolio for each student
- Adjust lessons and activities according to assessment results
- Differentiate activities to meet each child’s needs
- Communicate often with families regarding their child’s progress
- Maintain general class cleanliness
- Update display of children’s work
- Lead and supervise assistant teacher
- Attend monthly staff meetings and staff developments
- Early Childhood Education bachelor's degree or pursuing a master’s degree in Early Childhood Education; an NYS Early Childhood Education teaching certification (a plus)
- 3+ years of experience working as the lead teacher in a preschool classroom
- Friendly, energetic, approachable individual who enjoys working with children and families
- Responsible, self-starter, team-player
- Strong classroom management skills
- Ability to create a developmentally appropriate lesson
- Have a comprehensive understanding of child development
- Strong technology skills
- Recent Medical (completed within a year)
- Fingerprinting through Department of Investigation (IdentoGo within past year)
- Child Abuse and Violence Prevention Certification
- Infectious Disease Certificate
- CPR/First Aid Training
Minimum Education Level: Bachelor's Degree
Preferred Education Level: Bachelor's Degree
To apply for the position, you MUST have your bachelor's degree in a field related to education or early childhood development OR be enrolled in a master’s degree program in early childhood education.
Please include a cover letter introducing yourself and tell us why you have chosen a career in early childhood and prefer to work with 2-3 year old children versus children who are older. Also include your related professional experience and your salary requirement.
We are offering health benefits (after probationary period), retirement plan (SIMPLE IRA), and a salary which we will adjust based on your experience and credentials.