Barnard College, Columbia University
Date Posted: 06/14/2022
Salary / Wage:
Location: New York, New York
The Classroom Teacher is responsible for all aspects of overseeing the toddler classroom both within the classroom and administrative tasks
Primary teacher in toddler classroom; may be co-teaching
- Work with Associate Director in the supervision of teaching team – including assistant teachers, student teachers, and HS interns, including classroom supervision, feedback, evaluation and assisting with debriefing sessions.
- Work with Associate Director to implement and revise curriculum to meet individual needs of children, including developmental delays; identifying and developing plans to meet special needs; supervision of teaching team to implement plans, in consultation with the Director and Associate Director.
- Ongoing documentation of child observation, including assisting with student and assistant teachers’ observation records; developing full observation narratives for each child based on daily records in order to create full descriptions of each child.
- Communication with parents, including parent-teacher conferences.
- Assisting with toddlers during the caregiver series sessions.
Serves as co-teacher for afternoon classes.
Administrative responsibilities include:
- Write letters of recommendation for toddlers as needed
- Participating in protocols necessary for licensure, including attendance and fire safety.
- Assisting with ongoing maintenance of classroom.
- Participating in the annual review and revision of documentation and debriefing procedures.
- Participating in required workshops and conferences for DOH licensure.
Research, Seminar and Outreach responsibilities include:
- Participate in research protocols, including completion of questionnaires, toddler research paradigms, recording of specific observations, and collecting parental research forms.
- Attend weekly Toddler Center seminar and work with students in the class
- Interact with outside agencies as needed.
Performs additional duties and responsibilities as needed.
- M.A. in Early Childhood Education or related field; preferably licensure in early childhood; or 18 or more credits towards master’s degree and ongoing progress toward completion of master’s degree
- Minimum of 5 years experience direct work with young children in group setting; at least 3 years with toddler age.
- Prefer licensure in early childhood
- High activity level
- Ability to lift child up to 50 pounds
- Repeated movements from sitting to standing up; bending down to child level
Please apply to our online portal with resume and cover letter.
Additional information about the Toddler Center can be found at: https://barnard.edu/our-program