Community School Director (Flushing YMCA)
YMCA of Greater New York
Date Posted: 10/28/2022
Location: Flushing, New York
The Flushing YMCA is seeking a Community School Director. Under the supervision of the Youth & Family Director, the Community School Director is responsible for the implementation, integration, alignment, and coordination of the community school strategy at JHS 189. They will ensure that the Community School program meets all school, Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York and funder standards, expectations and regulations. Working collaboratively with the principal and School Leadership Team, the Community School Director will provide oversight to the strategy, systems, supervision, and structure of the program. They will plan, organize, and implement structured programming and services consisting for both students and families. The Community School Director will ensure a high level of quality, communication, and collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Implement a menu of needs-driven, high-quality programs and services in adherence with the community school model, including but not limited to expanded learning and enrichment opportunities, health services, parent/ family engagement, adult education, and interventions targeted to chronically absent students.
- Develop and grow community partnerships while creating and tracking a resource referral system for youth and families.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants by understanding, maintaining, and ensuring that staff and participants follow Risk Management and safety procedures.
- Ensure the alignment and integration of all programming with the principal’s vision and school day curriculum to the fullest extent possible.
- Hire, train and supervise full time and part time staff and volunteers by monitoring performance; providing support, coaching and recognition; and holding staff accountable for performance expectations.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all staff and participants; and promotes a positive school spirit.
- Support the planning of all community school activities, ensure that all Y program expectations are executed and coordinate use of branch facilities for program activities and events, when possible.
- Coordinate needs and resource assessment activities on an ongoing basis, employing a variety of strategies and including a broad cross-section of stakeholders.
- Represent the initiative in various public forums as needed and participate in advocacy activities to promote community schools or the YMCA.
- Actively participate in the School Safety Team and Attendance Team meetings; as well as convene Community School Leadership Team discussions, to identify needs, set priorities and coordinate the strategy.
- Develop and implement an orientation session, in collaboration with the school, for families before the first day of programming, which includes safety procedures, ground rules, and other necessary information. Maintain positive relationships and communication with guardians and community members throughout the year.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in/out forms, behavior reports, incident reports, and accident reports, as appropriate).
- Authorize weekly staff schedules and manage payroll expense by regularly reviewing and approving hours worked in ADP. Manage and track volunteer hours.
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of and participation in the Community School. Support the research/ evaluation of the community school by supervising, coordinating the collection of, and entry of data, timely submission of reports and responses to other requests for information.
- Understand and communicate the school’s mission, the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the Community School model to staff, participants, and care givers. Ensure that all communication is reflective of the collaborative partnership of the school and the YMCA.
- In collaboration with the school administration, Parent Coordinator and Guidance Counselors, respond to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
- Participate in capacity-building activities, including initiative-wide and site-based trainings, networking meetings, special events, and study visits, and – with the principal – ensure that participation of other site-based staff as needed or required. Support the development and facilitation of required trainings.
- Report all incidents in accordance with the Y policies and procedures.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
- Other activities and duties that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or program area related to working with youth. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience managing a high-volume youth programming and supervising staff.
- Excellent attention to detail, creativity and the initiative to solve or anticipate problems.
- Knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of Access, Adobe PageMaker and Photoshop preferred.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application, and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
** New Requirement**
All potential YMCA of Greater New York employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Please use the “Additional Attachment” section on the online application to upload your proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
YMCA OF GREATER NEW YORK | Where there's a Y, there’s a way.