The Red Balloon Early Childhood Learning Center
Date Posted: 02/08/2021
Salary / Wage: $80,000-$85,000
Location: New York, New York
Founded in 1972, The Red Balloon is a private, 12-month, full day program for a diverse population of children 2–5 years old. The Center is located in Upper West Harlem in a Columbia University residential building.
We are seeking a director to oversee all aspects of the school and to further its development, while supporting the school’s mission and philosophy.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the school.
- Provide guidance, motivation and inspiration to create a positive learning environment for children, teachers, parents, and administration.
- Plan and oversee the execution of age-appropriate developmental curricula
- Supervise teachers, including the identification of special talents and areas in need of growth. Conduct annual performance reviews and set professional goals. Ensure necessary professional development for teachers. Develop and support teachers in the implementation of Individualized Education Programs (IEPs), ensuring access to center programs and services in the least restrictive environment possible.
- Oversee the center’s finances, including annual school budget and fundraising. Work with the Parent Board on tuition and salary projections, as well as short and long-term planning for the school.
- Ensure school’s compliance with all applicable requirements, including: New York City Department of Health regulations; Fire Department; Department of Buildings; Columbia University affiliation requirements.
- Conduct the admissions process in alignment with the ISAAGNY calendar, including: marketing the school to prospective families, conducting tours, allocating financial aid, overseeing contracts and tuition bills
- Conduct the exmissions process, including the writing of reports for private school applications
- Facilitate parent fundraising committee and the annual fundraising auction. Cultivate individual donations especially through alumni families. Apply for grants to supplement the school’s funds and provide more aid to families.
- Meet regularly with the Columbia University Associate Provost/Director (or designee) of the Office of Work/Life and attend university-affiliated childcare centers directors meetings.
- Oversee the school’s website and social media.
- BA in Early Childhood Education or related field
- Minimum of 3 years working in a faculty supervisory position and/or in administration of a childcare center, preschool, or related setting
- Minimum of 3 years teaching experience with babies, toddlers, and/or young children in a play-based center
- Experience interfacing with government and non-government agencies providing services and supports for children with special needs (including but not limited to Early Intervention and NYC Center for Preschool Special Needs).
- Experience overseeing the Kindergarten admissions process to both public and independent schools.
If interested, please send resume/CV to Katie at email@example.com.
A Covid specific rider has been added to our parent handbook detailing community safety.