Homes for the Homeless, Inc is seeking an exceptional, enthusiastic, and dedicated Education Specialist for our K-12 afterschool programs opening in the Soundview neighborhood of the Bronx. Our program classrooms are part of a new facility that will house families and children experiencing homelessness. The Education Specialist plays a significant role in supporting the quality of an afterschool program that promotes academic achievement while also providing a fun and safe space for New York City's most vulnerable kids.
About Homes for the Homeless: Homes for the Homeless, Inc. (HFH) is a non-profit social services organization operating family shelters throughout NYC that serve as a hub of opportunity for families both residing in shelter as well as those in the neighboring community. On-site programs range from childcare, early childhood education centers, afterschool clubs and programs, and youth recreation activities, such as sports teams, to housing assistance, case management, parenting workshops, career and job vocational training, support groups and substance abuse assistance, and family engagement and recreation events for the whole family.
• Develop curricula aligned with school-day curricula, program goals, and behavior management standards.
• Ensure all structured activities have clearly defined outcomes (measurable skill gains and/or learning goals for participants).
• Establish a lesson plan that includes student skills such as writing, reviewing objectives, and time allotment.
• Provide training to staff in lesson planning, classroom management, and instruction.
• Develop and maintain relationships with parents, school administrators and personnel.
• Be responsible for recruiting staff and students for the program.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field
• Experience in lesson planning, curriculum development and implementation of structured programming for students in elementary and middle school
• Must pass a multi-stage background investigation which includes employment history and criminal background check
Please apply online for Education Speicalist
In order to attract and retain a high-performance workforce, Homes for the Homeless offers a dynamic and rewarding work environment, with a focus on ensuring an appropriate work-life balance. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide excellent benefits including comprehensive health insurance (including medical, dental, and vision), an employer-funded 403(b) retirement plan, commuter benefits, life insurance, Work/Life Assistance Program, 3 weeks paid vacation, and ample personal and sick leave.
Homes for the Homeless is committed to promoting an inclusive organizational environment of dignity and respect. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO) committed to equal treatment, and prohibit any form of discrimination or harassment based on age, race, religion, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), gender (including gender identity and gender expression), disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, arrest or conviction, domestic violence victim status, familial status, or any other basis that would be in violation of any applicable federal, state, or local law.