Head Start Lead Teacher
Date Posted: 02/20/2019
Salary / Wage:
Location: New York, New York
Job Type: Teacher
Hudson Guild is growing! We are looking for a high energy Certified Lead Teacher for our Early Childhood Education department. If you would like to be a part of an organization that provides a nurturing environment that fosters independence for kids, promotes the development of school readiness and social-emotional skills then Hudson Guild is the place for you.
- Work collaboratively with classroom staff to ensure a safe and healthy classroom
- Supervise staff in the classroom including assistant teachers, aides, volunteers, and therapists
- Develop lesson plans that are aligned with the Creative Curriculum format and the Common Core Standards
- Effectively communicate the development and progress of children with families using cultural sensitivity
- Responsible for identifying children with disabilities and assisting with referrals
- Maintain up to date documentation for children in your classroom, including being responsible for assessing children in the classroom, writing monthly observations, and conducting home visits
- Responsible for maintaining and updating classroom setting regularly
- Attend weekly teacher meetings, monthly in-service training's, and other professional development training's.
Expectations of Lead Teacher at Hudson Guild:
- Meet and greet: Meet students outside or in the hallway; organize and manage classrooms to keep students engaged and prepared to begin their school day.
- Plan curriculum: Prepare daily lessons and exercises; follow age-appropriate curriculum guidelines for preschoolers such as counting, identifying colors, and categorizing and grouping shapes.
- Serve meals: Serve lunches and/or snacks to students in accordance with school nutritional policies and clean up after mealtime.
- Personal hygiene: Help students understand the benefits of personal health habits, including eating nutritional snacks, washing hands, grooming and dressing.
- Lead procedures: Arrange seating plans, take roll, keep attendance records and implement school procedures.
- Fun activities: Organize and lead games, arts and crafts and other activities designed to help students learn, expend energy and work in groups.
- Store supplies: Select supplies, such as arts and crafts, storybooks and other learning tools; keep supplies organized; assist students in gathering and returning supplies before and after activities.
- Storytelling: Read stories from age-appropriate books and encourage students to interact through creative feedback in group discussions.
- Social development: Help students integrate with one another and interact in groups, whether they're working on curriculum, completing tasks or during play activities.
- Behavior issues: Identify emotional problems and address them with the child's parents or guardians during parent-teacher conferences.
- Staff meetings: Attend staff meetings and work with colleagues to plan curriculum and discuss student progress.
- Professional support: Work with school staff, such as Instructional Specialists, nurses and social workers, who specialize in early childhood development and behavior management issues.
- Teaching assistants: Supervise teaching assistants or volunteers as appropriate and in accordance with school procedures and policies as well as state and federal equal employment guidelines.
- Education plans: Identify children with potential special needs and develop Individualized Educational Plans (IEPs) for remedial attention if necessary.
- Progress reports: Keep copies of student work and assignments to evaluate progress through Work Sampling; maintain student records and provide parents or guardians with timely progress reports.
To be considered, you will need one or more of the following:
- BA in Early Childhood Education
- A Master's in Early Childhood Education and/or related field
- Early Childhood (Birth-Grade 2); Nursery, Kindergarten, and Grades 1-6 (N-6); Students with Disabilities (Birth-Grade 2)
- Two years teaching experience
- Flexibility between the hours of 8am - 6pm, Monday - Friday
To impress us, you will also have the following:
- Bilingual in either Spanish/English; Mandarin/English; Cantonese/English
You can learn more about the Hudson Guild at http://hudsonguild.org/
The Hudson Guild is an Equal Opportunity Employer.